The Firewise Communities Program has announced the winners of the Firewise Plant Calendar Photo Contest. The calendar, which serves as a valuable resource for homeowners, landscapers, planners and others involved in home building and landscape maintenance, will be available later this year through the program’s online catalog.
Entrants submitted original photos of Firewise plants, flowers, trees, shrubs and grasses found in their region. Ten winners were chosen and prizes include an Amazon gift card. The contest winners are:
- Michieal Abé, Wasilla, Alaska
- Connie Berg, Duvall, Washington
- Ronald Billings, College Station, Texas
- Liron Galliano, McClellan, California
- Jeannine Giuffre, Tehachapi, California
- Mike Kuhns, Logan, Utah
- Audrey Lawson, Salem, Oregon
- Jim McFarland, Ashland, Oregon
- Richard Nelson, Pocatello, Idaho
- Patricia Peters, Cragsmoor, New York
One of the primary principles of the Firewise Communities Program involves creating a Firewise landscape around a house to help decrease the risk of spreading wildfire. All vegetation has the potential for becoming fuel for a fire. A state list of native Firewise plants is available on the Firewise website.
More information about Firewise plants and landscaping can be found on the homeowners page of the Firewise website.